This month Sligo celebrates Yeats 150 anniversary in style with food trails, craft fests, Lissadell parties and of course the special day itself, Yeats Day on June 13. We’ve put together a flavor of all the cultural highlights further down but before you step a toe onto Yeats Trail why not enter our fantastic Yeats Competition first and you could be in with a chance to win a luxury break in Sligo, chauffeur-driven transport, dinner and a cruise!
Win a luxury Yeats themed break in Sligo
This month two lucky Fleadh Cheoil fans will win a night in Strand Lodge and Suites, Strandhill, sail around the famous Lake Isle of Inisfree, dine in the Yeats Experience and enjoy luxury transport for the day. This fabulous prize includes:
- Overnight Accommodation at the 4* Strand Lodge and Suites, Strandhill. Valid: Midweek Stay Sun-Thurs. Excluding July/August/Bank Holidays.
- View the Lake Isle of Inisfree on the most memorable cruise with Rose of Inisfree Tour Boat. www.roseofinnisfree.com
- Enjoy lunch or dinner in the Yeats Experience. Dine at the heart of the Yeats Country, Sligo, at a family table while enjoying the best of Irish food and the poetry of William Butler Yeats. www.yeatssligoireland.com
- Be chauffeured around in luxury transport for the day with Zero Cab Tours
Answer the following Question
[gravityform id=”10″ title=”false” description=”false”]
The Break is valid for two persons until September 30th 2015, subject to availability
Strand Lodge and Suites
It may be situated on the Wild Atlantic Way, but there’s nothing ‘Wild’ about the 4 Star ‘Strandhill Lodge and Suites’ nestling under Knocknarea in the heart of Strandhill village. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in beautiful County Sligo, the Strand Lodge and Suites’ 18 deluxe rooms and four Superior Suites are Fáilte Ireland, AA and Georgina Campbell approved 4 Star accommodation that caters for every taste.
The Strandhill Lodge and Suites are a multi award winning recipient of Tripadvisors Travellers choice since opening in 2011. Placing 1st, 3rd and 5th in Ireland and reaching a jaw-dropping 13th Best in the world in 2013, they are synonymous with placing their guests first with luxury and service.
The views from the Balconies and Patio rooms are an awe-inspiring sight, spanning the whole of Strandhill Bay and the coastline from Donegal to Mayo. The glorious red sunsets are among the most stunning settings on the west coast.
Be sure to ask for a sea-view room when booking; the views are spectacular!
Lough Gill Cruise
Sail around the Lake Isle of Innisfree and take in the breathtaking scenery of Lough Gill on board the majestic Rose of Innisfree cruiser. You’ll get a memorable view of the outstanding natural beauty of this lake and islands, steeped in myth and legend, that inspired Yeats to pen one of his most famous poems.
Yeats Experience Dining
Yeats Sligo Ireland’s husband and wife team Damien Brennan and Paula Gilvarry run the hugely popular Yeats Experience in their family home, Broc House on a spectacular beauty spot overlooking Lough Gill.
Damien’s maternal family, the Gallaghers, have lived on the farm at Broc House since at least 1824 and he has a life long interest in the Yeats family and especially the poet brother William Butler. He and Paula combine their passion for fine food, entertaining and the poetry, culture and heritage of Sligo into a wonderful evening. Paula sources the best of local and organic produce that she serves with skill and verve. Damien meanwhile introduces the Sligo area, the views from the windows and then blends all into the relevance and meaning of the best loved Yeats poetry.
Zero Cab Tours
Enjoy a leisurely tour of Yeats Country with Zero Cabs. They offer several tours of Sligo with an experienced and informed team of drivers. You’ll be taken along the shores of the majestic LoughGill to see the inspiring sights that grace the water.
Don’t miss Yeats Events in 2015
- Yeats Day 2015 11-14 June
- Lily & Loly Craftfest 12-20 June
- Lissadell House-Great Yeats Birthday Party 12 June
- So Sligo Yeats Food Trail 10-14 June
- Textile Collective “Vivid Cloths” Exhibition, June 5-26, Teach Bán Gallery, Drumcliffe
- ‘The Second Coming’ at the Hawk’s Well Theatre 6th and 9th of August
- Tread Softly 28 July-8 August
- Yeats International Summer School 26 July-7 August
- Queen Maeve Trail on Knocknarea. www.sligowalks.ie
- Free Guided Walking Tours of Sligo staring June 8 departing from the Tourist Information Office at 11am daily.
Follow Yeats Trail in Sligo
Welcome to Part Two of our Wild Atlantic Way series, offering you inspiration to get out and about as much as you can in Sligo, before, during and after Fleadh Cheoil. This month we highlight Yeats Trail in Sligo.
Walk in the footsteps of the poetry of WB Yeats around Sligo where he spent much of his youth and drew inspiration for some of his most famous poems. The Yeats Trail has been developed for those of you who love grand old houses, magnificent scenery, a fine flavour of Irish Culture and of course, great stories.
It includes Yeat’s Grave in Drumcliffe and nearby tearooms, Ireland’s leading contemporary art centre and home to many Jack B. Yeats works, The Model, a permanent exhibition on the life of W.B. Yeats at the Yeats Society in Yeats Memorial Building, Sligo County Museum’s Yeats collection and Yeats at One poetry readings daily at Hargadons bar, O’Connell Street, Sligo.
For Further Information on Yeats Trail please contact: